Monday, June 18, 2012

The Team

Ok. Late this afternoon I sat in a small doctors room, in one of their lovely gowns, and had SIX doctors, besides my main doctor, walk in (there would have been more but others stayed in the conference room to go over the pictures. Besides, not many more would have fit in that small room!)  

They were very nice and shook my hand while introducing themselves and their specialty (pathology, radiology, etc.) Then, the head doctor told me to sit on the examining table. 

Maybe I should say now, that if it wasn't for the seriousness of the situation, I might have been a wee bit embarrassed by what happened next. But as it was, I needed a definitive diagnosis on what kind of cancer I have, if it has a point of origin, and if it has spread.

So, trying to never mind who saw me 'nekkid' from the waist up (uh, everybody) I was hoping those assembled for the privilege of viewing my boobs would be able to come up with just exactly what is wrong with them. And the head doctor believes he knows what it is.

Apparently, I have a rare form of breast cancer that is found only in the lymph node under my arm. Normally, when a cancer is found in the lymph node it is either lymphoma, (very treatable) or has spread from some other place (metastatic - very bad.)

They knew right away from the type that it wasn't lymphoma, but it has the characteristics of breast tissue. However, they couldn't find any cancer in the breast area anywhere, or in my neck, shoulder, bones, abdomen, etc. So, they were stumped as to where the point of origin is or if the lymph node was the point of origin, which is nearly unheard of.

However, when they consulted the Medical Director of the Breast Center, (a professor) who incidentally, wrote a paper (or a book, I can't remember) about this very rare cancer ten years ago, he knew what it was and almost seemed excited to meet me. In fact, he later said it might be time to write another paper about this rare cancer.

So, with the consultation of all the team members and his expert medical opinion, I have been diagnosed with a rare breast cancer that has manifested itself in the lymph nodes under my left arm. One is now the size of a golf ball, (his words when he examined me today. I knew it had grown even more in the last few days as it has become so uncomfortable to sleep even on my right side now.) He said my doctor made the right call in starting my chemo this week!

The treatment will stay the same as originally discussed - six months of chemo followed by surgery, then six weeks of radiation of my upper left area, including my breast. At first they were thinking I would have to have a mastectomy, but the professor said he doesn't think there is any need for that, as any cancer must be microscopic or they would have found it. So he thinks radiation and then some type of pills after that should be sufficient to eradicate any tiny cancer cells.

My doctor said I am now on a 'five year list', which I'm assuming means that if I make it clear at five years I am considered a survivor. My head was spinning by this time with all the information, so I will try to find out more about that later.

Rained again in Houston
I do feel better after meeting with the team and the professor today. I'm still scared of chemo and radiation, but I know with God's grace and your prayers I will get through this. I will keep you all updated, please keep me on the prayer lists!


1 comment:

  1. I can't even begin to know what you're feeling Christine. I am praying always:)

    ReplyDelete