Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Chemo Day

Today wasn't too bad, I guess. I was supposed to get a port - a device surgically implanted under the skin that will be used from here on out to take blood, infuse the chemo and give me any other medicines/contrasts that I need intravenously. It helps 'save my veins' from repeated use. If you want to know more, you can find that info here, but I warn you, it can be icky, especially if you're like me and don't want to see or hear most medical procedures and explanations. But they MADE me WATCH and listen so I can sign the consent forms or they won't help me!

Anyway, they called a couple days ago and told me I was not going to get the port after all because two surgeons decided to take a vacation. When I got there today I was told that these surgeons went to a 'conference.' Sounds much better than 'vacation,' right? The dear doctors are so dedicated to the health of their patients that even on their time off they keep educating themselves on the best way to treat us. Can they help it if the conference happens to be in Hawaii, or the Bahamas?  Not that I'm bitter (to borrow a phrase.)

Fighting Nausea
No, I don't really know where the conference is, but that's the evil thought I had. Not very Christian, I know. Everybody needs a vacation and I would want my surgeon relaxed and happy, not mad and stressed that he hasn't had a vacation in four years, like me. Ok, I'm whining...moving on.

I had been told I would get Benedryl to counter any reactions from the chemo, but when I got there they gave me a steroid - Dexamethasone - instead. I don't know why - they said the doctor ordered it, a strong dose, they said, and that was that. Not really knowing anything I went with it - I don't know how this works!

They gave me the steroid over 30 minutes, but I got a headache at the back of my neck almost immediately. I was pretty sure it was the steroid, but I've had worse so I didn't make a big deal out of it. I thought I told her I had a headache, but Bryan said I didn't, he said he was the only one in the room when I mentioned it. 

So she never knew about my headache until later, when about 5-10 minutes after they started the chemo - Taxol - I started getting nauseated - not real bad - but bad enough. She immediately stopped the infusion and talked to the doctor then gave me an anti-nausea medicine. It worked pretty quick, but when I told her that my headache was gone, too, she looked surprised then was a little stern telling me I should have told her any symptoms I was experiencing. I honestly thought I had, but when Bryan told me later that it was just him in the room. Why he didn't tell her, I don't know. Sometimes, I think this is effecting him more than me!

IV in Hand. Not Fun!
But it has always been that way, when I was pregnant, he craved pickles! Today, when I felt nauseated, so did he and when they put the iv in the back of my hand his hand started hurting! He's a very empathic man.

Well, it has taken me quite a while to write this tonight. I tried to lay down when we got home and although I was very tired, I didn't sleep much. When I first got up from my 'nap' I felt exhausted! Like something is wrong but I don't know what. I have a little more energy now but it's waning fast. My next infusion is June 27th, then the port surgery is July 3rd with another infusion. 

Tomorrow, I have to go to my local dermatologist to get two lesions on my face checked out. MD Anderson told me to go to the local doc and if he thinks it's anything then I will see their skin doctors. So here's praying tomorrow will turn out to be nothing but my age showing! 

As always, your prayers are much appreciated!


2 comments:

  1. Praying for you honey! Doug's trailer is literally 7 minutes from MD Anderson. I will be here off and on during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed that with the headache. Hope I was more of a help than not. It is quite confusing somethimes but we'll get this thing licked. Not something we want to be a routine but once it is it will hopefully be easier. Then be OVER before we know it. Love you, Babe.

    ReplyDelete