Thursday, August 2, 2012

Effects

Seven chemo treatments down and five more of this set to go.  The effects are accumulating now. I am having more tired days and Saturday was the first day that I stayed in bed nearly all day - I just did not have any strength.

I am also starting to get the pins and needles effect on my feet and sometimes numbness. At least it just comes and goes for now and hopefully will not become an around the clock thing! 

On Sunday I had a little more energy but felt like I was getting sick - my throat hurt and I ached all over. The pain meds they gave me didn't help one bit. Thinking it might get better I waited, but on Tuesday had to message the nurse to see if I could increase my pain medicine. 

Unfortunately, the rash is worse than it appears in this photo!
Meanwhile, I have developed a 'chemo rash' on my hands and arms which hurts quite a bit whenever warm or hot water is used. Otherwise they itch like the dickens! 

Over the counter meds aren't helping much so they are calling in a prescription cream for the rash and also said I could up my pain medicine to two pills at a time. They are a narcotic so after all this is over, I may be addicted to them! 

But I'll deal with that later, right now relief is a blessed thing!

While writing this I got a message that my father-in-law is on his way to the ER after putting a screwdriver nearly all the way through to his thumb! Please pray he won't need surgery or get an infection! 

My mother-in-law was going to take my son, Caden, to the doctor today because he is having problems with recurring infections and one is particularly bad right now. So it looks like Bryan will have to take off time from work, again, to take Cade to visit the doctor, as I just had my chemo treatment yesterday and take a lot of drugs the next few days to counter the effects. Funny, but they don't want me to drive while taking them. ;)

Sometimes all the medical visits in the Welborn family astounds me! I remember being blown away when both of my children had medical problems. Now that I have cancer, I realize, like my mother-in-law says; "It could always be worse!" And that is so true! So now I try to find something to thank God for every day because it could always be worse! :)

"Rejoice always,  pray without ceasing,  in everything give thanks; 
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
I Thess. 5:16-18

Update: My father-in-law is out of the ER and it didn't hit the bone, thank you Lord! And my mother-in-law will be able to take my son to his doctor after all so my hubby can stay and get his work done. God is good! 

4 comments:

  1. ..Yes it is and you forgot to say it was on your head too .Prayers going up and all we need is one of my grand children to become a doctor so we can rest for a while ,they could make house calls ...lol ..I am thankful it was Randy's left hand .So just call if you need me again when Caden gets his other appointment set up ..Gayle ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, can they give you Lyrica for nerve pain. I have neuropathy in my toes and some fingers. Not sure if you're having problems with nausea but my sister in law says Emend is wonderful when going through chemo. Praying for you always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sharon, I have two nausea meds to switch between right now, but I'll look up Emend. I'm wondering if it's nerve pain in my hands - I'll have to ask my doctor about Lyrica, thanks!

      Delete