Saturday, August 4, 2012

Today

Today I actually had some energy and managed to accomplish several tasks without the usual 'chemo fog' clouding my thinking. I don't know how it happened, but I am grateful that it did. I was able to craft up some thank you cards, get them addressed and ready to mail, and put all the craft stuff back up where it belongs. Then I brought some clothes downstairs to be washed, put clean sheets on the bed all by myself and found some cool apps for my new iPhone. Funny how things that I used to do without thinking are now counted as big accomplishments!

At MD Anderson for another Chemo treatment
Chemo fog is a big pain - most of the time it's just hard to concentrate. Watching movies takes some staying power as my attention span keeps jumping from subject to subject to subject. I do better with tv series since they're shorter, but sometimes even those are hard to finish. Reading is worse, it has to be in real short snippets, which is a shame because I love to read! So being able to start and finish several projects without feeling 'foggy' was a blessing.

The chemo rash on my hands is getting worse and is becoming one huge connected rash on my left hand. It is now painful as well as itchy and besides being on my head, it is now spreading to my foot. Oh, well, at least it's all supposed to be temporary and should go away when I'm done with the Taxol.

I still find myself worrying about the future, dreading the next set of chemo treatments, and wondering how hard it will be to recover from the surgery. I have to remind myself that "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof" - to take one day at a time. Then I further have to remind myself that "What time I am afraid I will trust in Thee." I have to trust Him, no matter what my future looks like. And pray, pray for others as well as myself. 

Stay in His word, keep His word in my heart, and pray. Yep, just what a Christian is supposed to do! :o)

8 comments:

  1. I was glad to read this one ...and to know you feel the prayers of all of us ...you are strong you ,are special ,you are loved ...now rest up for the bad days and enjoy the good when you can ...we are here for you ...No use to worry about tomorrow when God has it all in His hand ...Gayle W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading what you said about Chemo brain makes me think...I would be in a vegetated state! I can't concentrate on a normal day...Doug says I'm seven and ADD! I am so thankful that you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *High Five* for changing the sheets. I know how you feel--I can't believe how many things we take for granted when we're feeling well! We mindlessly pick up, put away, get out, carry this and that, run here and there. Letting go of my home management, especially chores and the way they're done and the frequency, too, I thought that was more torture than being sick sometimes (sad, I know). But I've learned to let go--things like the spices staying in alphabetical order (okay--I still put them back, but the pots & pans I have been leaving in their new disorder, and I've learned to not even LOOK at the stove, countertops, tabletop, etc.), and how often the stairs are vacuumed, and the melted popsicle spot on the kitchen floor--those things don't matter to God from the eternal perspective--where our thoughts are supposed to be. And now, I'm finding some things quite humorous. The day I got home from my last hospital stay (3 weeks in the hospital), I noticed a fresh green 3-leaf clover on the floor of the bathroom by the bathtub that one of the little boys had tracked in. That was July 9. It is now August 7. The clover is still there. I could have picked it up long ago, but now I'm just ridiculously curious. My littlest is 9 months old. Do you think the clover could possibly be there still when he graduates college? Haha! I'm finding some of these things funny now, and get a little laugh checking on that withered, dried clover every day. Especially after someone "cleans" the bathroom for one of their chores! I laugh a little harder each time. I've quit looking for the popsicle spot. And am thanking God for the opportunity to give my 7yo a HUGE boost in his ability to do chores!

    But it is such a blessing when God gives us the physical strength to just get SOMETHING done! I actually gave my husband a haircut this morning!

    God bless you. Thank you for sharing your heart. Prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, three weeks in the hospital - that is a lot! Sure glad to hear you were able to give your husband a haircut today. It is amazing how much doing the smallest 'normal' things mean now - things I might have griped about doing before!

      And the 3-leaf clover story - that is a great - you made me laugh!

      I have to remind myself when I walk through the kitchen and see the stack of dirty dishes on the counters, that not to worry, the dishes will get clean, the counters will get wiped down. Just because I don't know when doesn't mean it won't happen. I have to let it go - find something else to occupy my thoughts. And now, with my chemo brain, it doesn't take long before I've forgotten how dirty the kitchen is! ;)

      Thanks for your post, Camilla!

      Delete
    2. So, my 13yo daughter and 7yo son just headed into the bathroom with a broom, sponge, paper towels and various other cleaning products. We'll see about that clover.

      After a very trying 8 weeks, I found myself feeling well enough to do many things today--with the slightest "hint" of normal (still not walking, but able to hobble/hop/crawl around my house quite a bit!). I found myself telling God, "Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthan kyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou...."

      Why can't I be this thankful when I'm NOT feeling well? I'm commanded, "In everything give thanks... " What will it take for me to learn? I've given God permission to do whatever it takes!

      Delete
    3. You're a brave soul, Camilla! God bless you!

      Delete
    4. The clover is gone! I don't know if I'm extremely happy or a little let down! Haha!

      Delete