Friday, July 20, 2012

The Plan

The Pastor of our church has a saying; "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him you have a plan." 

I had a plan earlier this year - it was going to be a 'me' year. I felt I had put all my energy, all of anything I wanted, all of my plans on the back burner while raising our kids. Then I had helped my son deal with his Crohn's disease for nearly six years, and had been doing everything in my power to help my daughter figure out why she was having fainting spells and other health issues (which we just found out on July 11th what was wrong.) It wasn't like I was going to quit being their Mom, but I was definitely going to be doing more of what I wanted and not so much cooking or looking after their interests. If any of you know me you would understand how difficult it was for me to put myself first instead of my kids. But I managed to push aside the guilt and get started.

Traveling home from MD Anderson
The first thing was to lose some extra pounds I had put on in the last few years. I had never spent money to do that, I've always tried to lose weight on my own. However, I decided to join Weight Watchers online to give myself more motivation. I was actually spending money on me! I was going strong and staying within the guidelines very well and losing weight, albeit slower than I wanted, but still losing.

The next item on my checklist was I would get my very own bike. My whole life I have never had a bike that was all my own. When I was young I had to share a bike with my older, and much taller sister, or borrow one of my brother's bikes, but I never had one that I could call my very own. 

The last few years I had wanted to buy a bike for myself but I kept putting it off because my kids don't even have their own bikes at the moment (they outgrew what they had.) So, once again, 'mother's guilt' took over and I couldn't buy myself a bike when my kids didn't even have one!

Anyway, I didn't want to go bicycling all by myself - it wouldn't be as much fun. But there never seemed to be enough money for four bikes, helmets and whatever else was needed to furnish four people with proper bikes and safety gear all at once. Then my husband suggested we just get two bikes - one for me and one for him. That way we could ride together. Seemed kind of wicked, but he won me over, after all, isn't this supposed to be my year? So, that was the plan - we were going to get us bikes at first, the kids could borrow them until we could get them their own bicycles later. Sounded like a good plan!

On to the next item of my agenda for me - getting my hair in a completely new style. (Oh, the irony!) Add a makeover and taking better care of myself by always wearing makeup every day - maybe even going to a manicurist for the first time in my life, and taking good care of my skin by buying the best lotion and using it after every shower!

I'm sure he didn't 'plan' on being the shopper now!
I had always wanted to take dancing lessons with my husband. Dancing with Bryan was one of my most romantic ideas. We did dance for the first time (in public) last year when we were checking out a band for his parents 50th Anniversary party. I loved it!

Maybe it's that I'm approaching 50, but the more 'me' time was about doing things I had never done before - I wanted some changes in my life.

Well, change is definitely here, but not in the way I had planned! Oh, to be fair, some things on my list are happening - I have a radical new hair style, I am showering every day and putting on lotion to keep my the chemo from drying out my skin. My nails are looking pretty good at the moment. I can't go for a manicure but I have to keep my cuticles in good condition to prevent cracking and infection, so for the first time ever I'm using a cuticle brush and cream daily to keep them in top shape. 

Dancing and biking have been put off for awhile. So has Weight Watchers. Makeup - forget it! Most of the time they don't want me to wear any to my appointments so they can check my skin and I don't go out as much anymore so...it seems pointless to wear it.

One week I lost four pounds but gained back three the next week. This is only the first of the chemo sessions. My doctor tells me the next one will be tougher - when I start the 3 in 1 treatment, FAC - it has a lot of not so nice side effects. The weight loss then might be more dramatic.

It is the year of me, but not in the way I had planned. I am getting some attention, but it's not the same. I must have made God laugh with all this 'me' business. And the one thing I forgot was to ask Him what His will was for me this year. I had made my plans, but I didn't inquire of God. 

Amazing Sky!
In Joshua chapter nine there is a very interesting story about how the men of Israel were deceived into making a pact with their enemy. The important part is in verse 14 - "but they did not ask counsel of the Lord." They made the pact without inquiring what God's will was for them. I had made my plans, but I forgot to ask God what He wanted me to do this year. I hope I don't make that mistake again.
*     *     *
"Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, 
buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. 
For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.  
Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” 
James 4:13-15

9 comments:

  1. This is such a great post Christine:)

    I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you, but you are correct - you forgot to thank God and ask Him to guide your life. I did the same thing and lost my career years ago.
    God is love and you were doling out buckets and buckets of it on your family. God will pull you through all this - just focus on Him and don't forget to Praise and Thank Him for all the Good things in your life -- God wants you healthy and He will heal you!
    In Jesus' name we pray!
    May God Bless and Keep you
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog and for the prayers, Claire! I hope your career is back on track now. :)

      Delete
  3. When I read your blog it hits home. Like you, I was taking control and going to do more things for me instead of giving everything to everyone else and doing without. I had just started weight watchers and lost my first ten pounds when i got diagnosed. When I hung up that phone I haven't counted another point. :) I do believe this was a way for God to show me that I needed to slow down and take care of me or let someone take care of me for a change. Hardest thing for me has been to let go and let God. But I have learned slowly but surely. I am so stubborn it takes something like this to wake me up. Wake up I have though. One of my greatest joys is to witness to others now. I never was comfortable stepping out of my box and talking to others. Now you can't shut me up. lol Everything for a reason and know that God has something magnificent planned for you Christine!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, we do have a lot in common - it's hard for me to let go, too! I love your attitude and am glad you are experiencing His joy in your witness to others!

      Delete
  4. Hi Chris,

    What a handsome man you got on your blog. I haven't had the chance to read Friday's Blog yet. I'm in the middle of an excruciating Programming test. My brain is mush. I do not like this class. Anyhoo - I did want to just quickly try to encourage you if I could.

    I know you know about my brother and I've tried not to be a burden to you with my woes, but this may encourage you. Not the beginning but the end. Please read b/c I can clearly see God working miracles IN SPITE OF the medical industry.

    Real quickly - my brother has been in ICU or a medical care facility for the last 4 months. To say his cognitive awareness is poor at best would be an understatement. He mumbles incoherently most of the time. Does not recognize anyone, not wife or kids or me or our parents. But we believe God is going to heal him totally. Remember Nebuchadnezzar?

    There's been more than one occasion where doctors said tests showed he was "brain dead" and wanted us to consider "pulling the plug". Unbelieving Doctors?!!? Needless to say he's come out of them and is obviously not brain dead. He is down to 120 lbs. - pretty thin for 6'2".

    Well, the latest in the miracle saga began Friday. We all rushed down to the hospital b/c they said he was all but dying. When I got there, he looked real bad. Although he was under sedation, his eyes weren't closing, and one of his eyes was not responding to light (not dilating) - which as you can understand is not a positive indicator of brain activity. The ER doctor came in while I was talking to and praying over my brother, and he started asking me if I was related - I assume by his later conversation that he was wanting me to influence the family to "pull the plug". Unbelieving doctors?!!? Getting a sense - I asked him, "Are you a believer?"

    "Well it ..."
    "No, there's no 'Well ...' - either you are are you aren't"! "We're believing God is going to completely heal him." (as you can tell, I'm losing some of my patience with these doctors.

    He continued to say how sometimes families and loved ones can get in the way of God doing His thing and we should just let people die.

    Look if you don't believe - just say it - spineless!

    Anyway - here's the payoff (Sunday update). My brother is now starting to come out of it. He's blinking his eyes again and when his wife asked him a question, he tenderly shook his head and mumbled "No". He also squeezed my nephew's hand. All great news and obvious indicators that he is not "brain dead". Doctors!??!

    God Bless You, God heal you, Praise God for my brother's healing and Praise God for Christine Welborn's healing. Our God is the ultimate Physician!!!

    Love y'all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MatrixJunkie - Wow, that is amazing! Thanks for the update - you and your family are on my prayer list! God bless you all!

      Delete
  5. And I wanted to add this:
    This is some scripture I've been reading/claiming over my brother. It is from Job (Ch. 33) but Elihu was speaking it. It probably doesn't speak to you, but I wanted to show you the scripture I found that so closely relates to my brother and his life/struggle/sickness and I'm claiming it over him. Again Bless you and your family Christine! Here's the scripture from Job 33:

    14 For God does speak —now one way, now another —
    though no one perceives it.
    15 In a dream, in a vision of the night,
    when deep sleep falls on people
    as they slumber in their beds,
    16 he may speak in their ears
    and terrify them with warnings,
    17 to turn them from wrongdoing
    and keep them from pride,
    18 to preserve them from the pit,
    their lives from perishing by the sword.[b]
    19 “Or someone may be chastened on a bed of pain
    with constant distress in their bones,
    20 so that their body finds food repulsive
    and their soul loathes the choicest meal.
    21 Their flesh wastes away to nothing,
    and their bones, once hidden, now stick out.
    22 They draw near to the pit,
    and their life to the messengers of death.[c]
    23 Yet if there is an angel at their side,
    a messenger, one out of a thousand,
    sent to tell them how to be upright,
    24 and he is gracious to that person and says to God,
    ‘Spare them from going down to the pit;
    I have found a ransom for them —
    25 let their flesh be renewed like a child’s;
    let them be restored as in the days of their youth’ —
    26 then that person can pray to God and find favor with him,
    they will see God’s face and shout for joy;
    he will restore them to full well-being.
    27 And they will go to others and say,
    ‘I have sinned, I have perverted what is right,
    but I did not get what I deserved.
    28 God has delivered me from going down to the pit,
    and I shall live to enjoy the light of life.’
    29 “God does all these things to a person —
    twice, even three times —
    30 to turn them back from the pit,
    that the light of life may shine on them.

    ReplyDelete