Sunday, July 1, 2012

Weak Spots

Another Rainbow, Right over our Church Today!
Well, I've made it through the roughest part so far. It's really weird how the muscles in my belly and jaw would contract then release for about 36 hours straight! (see previous post) 

It finally quit on Saturday morning leaving me with a very sore stomach and all of my teeth sore and hurting. The worst of the shaking subsided as well on Saturday, but I still wake up every morning shaking pretty good. Maybe that part is the narcotic pain medicine? Of course, I'm guessing at everything, but then the doctors seem to be doing the same thing. They said my symptoms were unusual and that's why they wanted me to go to the emergency room if the muscle contracting didn't subside. 

But I don't even know where the ER is at MD Anderson and didn't want to go anyway. And my Chemo book, that they gave me, said muscle spasms can be a side effect of chemo. So why is my case unusual? I already have a rare kind of cancer, do I really need unusual side effects as well?  -.-

I had thought that it may be the pain medicine making my muscles contract, but even after not taking it for 12 hours I was still having contractions and by then in a lot more pain. So, I took a second muscle relaxer - (shhh, don't tell anybody as the triage nurse told me to wait until the next day to take one but I was desperate and did not want to drive all the way to the emergency room. Besides, they would have probably done the same thing! : P )  

The second muscle relaxer seemed to help, or maybe whatever was causing the contractions was finally easing off. Or maybe it was withdrawal from the strong steroid medicine they were giving me before they start the Taxol (chemo drug). It does have withdrawal symptoms that are similar to what I was experiencing, however, I didn't have them the first week of chemo.

This week I get my port and will have my third Taxol treatment. I am hoping they will be able to cut back on the steroid amount, as they said they usually do after a few treatments. Please pray that I don't have any bad side effects this week. I'm already having to take pain meds more often than I thought as the chemo is affecting any weak spot in my body, like joints, and what seems to be the weakest spot so far - my right lower back area. It hurts nearly continuously, even with meds, and without meds I can barely walk! Never knew I was in this bad of shape.

I have decided to start reading a devotional called Battlefield of the Mind. I am catching myself, again, watching people go about their daily lives and getting jealous all over again that my life is so altered. With so many physical problems sometimes it seems so hard to believe this verse:

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, 
against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, 
against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 
Eph. 6:12

But God is showing me that as with Job, the battle may seem physical, but is actually spiritual. Just as Satan tried to get Job to 'disown' God by bringing much physical pain on him, sometimes our pain is to try and get us frustrated and angry with God as well, destroying our relationship and testimony. 

I'm hoping this new bible study will help me stay focused through the physical pain - that God is good, He is in control and He will help me fight this spiritual and physical battle.

Still, I ask for the prayers of God's people that the pain and muscle spasms will not be like they were last week! :)  Thank you, prayer warriors! May God bless each of you abundantly this week!

8 comments:

  1. This blessed me!
    So thankful that you are including us on this journey by writing. I love you! I am praying daily for you my beautiful sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo! That's high praise coming from you! I admire how much you are always 'into' God's word and helping others to understand it as well. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I pray God will hear your prayers and ease your pain. Battlefield of the Mind is a great tool for use in remembering that if Satan can mess with our minds, he can get a foothold on our life. Just being aware of that is huge!

    I hope you have a better week and am praying for wisdom for the doctors. I would have expected the docs at MDA to be better equipped and knowledgeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting more from the doctors at MDA, too. I can see a lot of differences there, but I also see that they are just humans making guesses, educated as they are, but guesses all the same. At least they were able to bring in an 'expert' to figure out my type of cancer, rare as it is.

      They are having me take Benedryl this week to see if that helps with the side effects. So far, the muscle spasms are mostly holding off - I believe it has more to do with the prayers being offered up for me, for which I am extremely grateful!

      Delete
  4. Hard to pass off the fact that we've seen a rainbow or 2 each week since we've been going to MDA. Just a little nod in our direction from the Father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just what I was thinking, MudboxMan! ;) Just like when I first heard the words "Yes, it's cancer," the first thought I 'heard' in my head was 'go to MD Anderson.' Maybe it's because of the rarity of this cancer may have stumped the local docs, or maybe the quickness of the tests they pushed through to help with the diagnosis. Whatever it was, when it seems the doctors don't know what to do, I try to remember how God has steered me to where I am and I must keep the faith that it will work out and He will never leave me nor forsake me.

      Delete
  5. Hi Chris,

    I just got off of the phone with you and Bryan where I found out about your diagnosis and treatment. As my heart breaks for you and Bryan and the kids, I am confident God will carry you through this. You are absolutely correct:

    "...as with Job, the battle may seem physical, but is actually spiritual."

    When I think about this battle, I keep going back to the imagery of Peter walking on water. I can just see him trying to focus on Jesus and not be distracted in the least bit by any of his surroundings. Like you say, we can't look around us - we HAVE GOT TO FOCUS ON CHRIST - He is our salvation. Bless you for not getting bitter. I pray your pain and spasms will subside. I pray that the side effects from this chemo will be minimal at best and that God will supernaturally strengthen your spirit and resolve and body. I pray that God will FILL you with hope, courage, joy, healing, and love. And WHEN He brings you out the other side, like he did Job, I pray God will bless your "socks off".

    I love the verse you quoted, Eph. 6: 12 - that was my first memory verse. I think I was in high school. But I have no doubt it is true - between my unemployment and my brother's illness and my mom's latest cancer diagnosis, I believe it even more. This is a spiritual battle. I've been saying this for months now that it's like Job and the WAVES of attack. It's not coincidence and there's nothing I can do in the physical to fight it. My only weapons are spiritual God's WORD and prayer. I also believe there's something special about fasting - showing that we are putting our hope, faith, trust in God rather than our flesh.

    Also, here's another thought I've been thinking a lot about lately with my brother who hasn't had any solid food in over 3 months. About filling our bodies with the WORD. Just follow some of my logic: Jesus is the WORD (John 1:1). Man does not live on bread alone (Matthew 4:4) but on every WORD that proceeds from the mouth of GOD. We know that God's word is healing and life. So every time we are reading scripture, I believe we are reading life and healing into our bodies.

    Anyway, so we (Cath and I) will be praying for you!

    We love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MatrixJunkie, when I heard what all your family has been going through as well, I was shocked! Two Job families at once! What are the odds?! I have been praying for you, your brother, Mom and Dad, wife and family every time you cross my mind!

      Thanks for sharing about feeding ourselves with God's word; "every time we are reading scripture, I believe we are reading life and healing into our bodies." What a great phrase to remember and so true! May God bless you and give you strength and answered prayer for you and your family!

      Delete