Thursday, July 12, 2012

P.O.T.S.

Yesterday, my son, Caden, stayed with me while I had my chemo visit, and my husband, along with his parents, took our daughter Cara to Texas Children's Hospital. We have been trying for over a year and a half to find what was causing her fainting/near fainting, nausea and dizziness she has been experiencing. 

My son and helper at MDA.
When she would have these 'episodes' she would turn very pale - even her lips would lose all their color. We've taken her to the ER, to her doctor, to a cardiologist who ordered an echocardiogram and tilt test, her gynecologist did an ultrasound and other tests - all came back negative. Her PCP then ordered a 2 hour sugar test, which came back abnormal at the 2 hour sugar level but they didn't think it was serious, and apparently the endocrinologist at TCH didn't think it was a problem, either. 

My Sweetie!
So she finally saw a neurologist at TCH and he took a look at all the data from all the previous tests, asked all kinds of questions, checked her out, then gave us a diagnosis - Cara has P.O.T.S. - Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. (You can click on P.O.T.S. for a complete definition.)

The short version is her blood pressure is too low which causes her blood to not flow as it should, affecting different areas of her body. She will need to take several salt tablets daily, an iron pill and drink lots of fluid. After a few weeks they will do blood work again to retest and see how she is doing. Cara was also accepted into their clinical study for children with P.O.T.S.  They want to see how well P.O.T.S. children absorb iron, so any tests related to this study will be taken care of by the hospital. We will get more info on her condition but not have to pay all the co-pays. God is good!

Me at MDA, July 11
The past couple of days have not been too good for me - I had a severe headache - probably a migraine - on Tuesday and no medicine would help the pain or nausea. I threw up and felt horrible and dizzy and I wondered how I would be make my visit to MDA the next morning. But on Wednesday I woke with just a mild headache, however I still had nausea, and even after taking my nausea medicine I still experienced it all the way to the hospital.

It was made worse by the fact that the normally 2 hour drive took over 2 hours and 45 minutes as it was raining and we got caught in the morning rush hour traffic! I was nearly 45 minutes late for my appointment and shaking so badly I could barely walk when we got there.

However, after the chemo I started feeling much better! Weird! Maybe because they always give me a saline solution with the different medicines? Whatever it was, I was so glad when the nausea left me and today has been a much better day, no nausea at all! I was even able to run errands. Thank you, Lord!

I did post on Facebook when I had the sickening headache and had people praying for me. God did answer prayer, it just took a little longer than I wanted (which is usually the case - I can be very impatient!) 

Thank you to those who are praying for my entire family, we sure do need it! Please say a pray for another family friend who just found out she has cancer on her kidney. She is about my age and Bryan has known her since he was young. Pray that they will be able to get all the cancer when they remove her kidney and pray that it has not spread. There is too much cancer going around! Please pray for a cure!

May God bless you all with a very special blessing today!

4 comments:

  1. Christine,
    I'm so blessed by this post:) Mixed in with the illnesses that are present, are such blessings and evidence of God's hand. AMEN!

    And you look so cute!

    You are such an inspiration to me:) Thank you for sharing your story with us. It truly blesses me to see how strong you are - especially when you're thinking you are weak.

    I love you my friend!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, there is a song that I learned in childhood that now goes through my head nearly every day - especially this part; "...I am weak, but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me..."

      Thanks for the compliments! I am glad my story is touching others. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris,

    God bless you!! and heal you!! and sustain you! ...and did I mention BLESS YOU and HEAL YOU?! Since your post a couple of days ago, I've started adding Bryan to my prayers. I'm sure I was like most people, I never thought to pray for him b/c he's not sick. Well, at least not physically :). I'm still praying for you, just wanted you to know that.

    Update on my family: I'm going to stay with my brother tonight. I believe about 1 more week will mark the 4month mark that he's been in ICU. Like I said, God's already done a miracle "on" him but He's holding off on the complete healing for now.

    My mom had her surgery about two and a half to three weeks ago to remove her tumor. It may be even four weeks ago. I'm sure you understand - I've been getting my days mixed up. But they still haven't started any radiology therapy on her. We're looking into High Doses of vitamin C. I mentioned it to Bryan but I thought I'd tell you too. The science and logic behind it appear to be sound. I encourage you to check it out for yourself and make your own conclusion. Search for "Food Matters" "high dosage Vitamin C" in youtube. It's part of a well produced highly successful documentary - kind of like "Supersize Me" if you've heard of that.

    God bless y'all, I'm off - MJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MatrixJunkie, thanks for the update about your family!

      I do understand about mixing up the days. When Bryan went to kiss me goodbye this morning to leave for work I was upset that he 'acted' like he was going to work on a Saturday - he didn't need to wake me up just to go downstairs!

      Obviously, I was grumpy this morning. I might have overdid it yesterday since I had energy then. Not today. Anyway, Bryan had to tell me it was Friday and I was so surprised because I'm usually the one telling him what day it is!

      Tell your Mom I think of her often and am praying for her! I hope the radiation will not be too hard on her.

      God bless you all, and take care of yourself, MatrixJunkie - as one of the caregivers it can be hard on you, too. I'll say a prayer for you, as well, and thanks for adding my hubby to your list!

      Delete