Monday, March 11, 2013

Why Do We Need God?

Why Do We Need God? Because we have more than we can handle. It's as simple as that.

When people say God will never give you more than you can handle, they mean well, but they are completely wrong. Where is that in the bible? The only place is where it talks about TEMPTATION - that He will make a way of escape. He didn't say you could handle everything.

Who can handle being addicted to drugs, alcohol, sex, or anything else? Addicts go to support meetings and are given a support buddy and encouragement to find a 'higher' power.

Who can handle the death of a loved one, knowing you will never see them again on earth? Never talk to them again, never have the chance to make things right, if needed?

In fact, I would go so far as to say if you can handle everything life throws at you, you are not living the Christian life God has for you. But then, neither was I.

With my cancer diagnosis, I can never be sure, ever, that it is over. And so I deal with my own mortality on a daily basis. And it is much more than I can handle.

I don't want to die from cancer. I've seen people die from it, it's not pretty. I'm scared. I can't handle it, and there is no place to turn. Doctors can't give me reassurance, my family can't stop me from dying, and all my research on cancer 'prevention' only shows that the medical community can't even make up its mind on what causes cancer, let alone how to prevent it.

Oh, there are all kinds of theories - build up your immune system with antioxidants so cancer can be fought off. Wait a minute, don't take antioxidants because that can feed your cancer, especially if you're susceptible to cancer. (Well, since I've had cancer so I would say I'm susceptible.)

Don't be overweight, that makes you more susceptible to cancer. (Then why don't all fat people get cancer?) Sugar gives you cancer - the cancer feeds off sugar. Oops, wait, go back to real sugar and don't have any fake sugar, that's what gives you cancer.

And on and on it goes. What is a person to do?! The latest I've read is that iodine deficiency can cause you to get cancer, especially breast cancer. However, it's really hard to check for iodine deficiency. But I have been diagnosed with hypothyroid a few years before my cancer diagnosis. Hmmm, maybe there's something to this one? Should I get more iodine in my diet? But I gotta be careful, too much iodine is as bad as too little!

I AM DRIVING MYSELF CRAZY!

I am trying to run everywhere but to the One I need to be running to! There is only one refuge, only one Person who can help me when I feel this panic start to rise up in me.  When this urgent need comes on me to do something to save myself but there is no clear cut path to take, what do I do then?!

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."
 "The name of the Lord is a strong tower;
The righteous run to it and are safe."
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength..."

God's word comes to me in these moments of panic. God is showing me that the only place I can remain safe is in Him. I may still die from cancer, but He will see me through it.  

Only by His grace and might and strength and power can I make it. As the bible says: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love..."

The only place for me to run is to His word, and then to live a life of faith. "Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."  -  "The just shall live by faith..."

Are you living a life you can handle? Or is it too much for you?   
When you cannot handle what life has thrown, it's time to go to the Throne. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know why but I can't seem to reply to posts on my own blog anymore! So I'll put my replies here:

Thanks, Gayle and Marsha! I appreciate the prayers!

Love,
Christine 

5 comments:

  1. I had to re post this one ..You did a great job here ..I love the scripture For God hasn't given the spirit of fear but of power and of love ...and of a "Sound Mind" (my favorite part of this verse !)...SO do not drive yourself crazy with the what if part ???? Love ya ,Gayle Welborn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Gayle... don't drive yourself crazy with the "what ifs"... God hasn't given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and a SOUND MIND!! That spirit of fear is NOT from God.
    I love what you wrote, Christine, especially the last part... "When you cannot handle what life has thrown, it's time to go to the THRONE"!! :) Yes, seems like daily there are needs of our loved ones and at times they seem to be overwhelming, so I am certainly taking your advice and RUNNING to the THRONE!!
    Prayers for you & your family, my friend & a big ole' ((BEAR HUG))
    Marsha Kline

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was very helpful and encouraging to me in a despairing moment. Thank you for sharing.
    -Camilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless you Christine! God BLESS you and HEAL you! I am so sorry you and Bryan are having to go through this! You are 2 of the sweetest gentlest people I know. It breaks my heart. I'm sorry I haven't been reading and posting to your blog. I'm not suffering like you (God have MERCY on you Christine), but I had to watch my mom go through it right after we lost my brother. The medical industry should not be allowed to do that to anyone. I believe there will be many called into account for their greed. What's the hippocratic oath? ...something about not doing any harm. I know you've been driving yourself crazy with the "what if's", but we too have done a ton of research and I think I told Bryan, but he probably thinks I'm just kooky, but I would still encourage you to look up "foodmatterstv cancer" on youtube. The high doses of vitamin C via IV seemed to help my mom. And while she was getting treatment, we spoke with a pharmacist with 30 yrs experience (he was getting treated too) and he confirmed that ABSOLUTELY, there's something to it.

    You nailed it, people that say that God won't give you too much haven't read the scripture. I heard that very sermon a few months back and you nailed it.

    God's Word is a mystery. We know that God doesn't lie, in fact - it says He cannot lie b/c He's not man that He can lie. That being said, His word says that we are to ask whatever we wish and it will be given to us. That is providing certain criteria apply - like that we are not asking to consume upon our lusts and that we believe etc. And that being said, I pray, "LORD Messiah Yeshua (Maker of Heaven and Earth, Jehovah Rapha, Sustainer of all creation from the Largest Galaxy to the smallest subatomic partical) - You alone are GOD Jehovah and you alone can heal your beloved daughter Christine. With all my heart I believe You can heal her, I may struggle with faith in other areas, but I know that I know that I know that You can heal her and take her pain away. So Lord, I'm asking you heal my friend Christine Welborn and bless her socks off. Thank you JESUS! AMEN!!!

    One day we'll know why.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. God has brought you to my mind several times this week. I am lifting you up in prayer- asking Father God for healing and full restoration of your health.
    Give Chris the wisdom she needs to discern what additional medical interventions should be taken on, continued, or stopped. Help Chris to see where You have provided for her healing spiritually and through Your creation. I pray for her financial needs asking that those would be fully met through You.

    ReplyDelete