Thursday, March 7, 2013

Radiation Effects

It's now been one week and one day since my last radiation treatment. And I feel terrible.

Not only have I dealt with bronchitis for the last 12 days, with coughing and fever, the radiation side effects are now also full blast.

I was told that after radiation my skin would have the appearance of a sunburn, and like a sunburn, it would peel. However, this is nothing like any sunburn I have ever had in my life!

My skin is the deepest red I have ever seen and it is peeling ... and bleeding! Showering is pure torture, as is anytime the bandage must be changed! I have to be careful of a skin infection now.

If they had told me it would be like this I never would have agreed to radiation! I have to wear a patch on the most sensitive parts of my body, but I thank God for it, as it is the only way I get any relief!

I have stopped all my lymphedema exercises as I am waiting for my left underarm area and breast to heal. I am praying that the lymphedema does not make my arm or fingers swell while I wait for my radiated skin to heal.

And I keep coughing...and coughing, and coughing.

Thank God for this bandage!





1 comment:

  1. I am thankful you are still with us ...I know it is so hard but you have been so strong throughout this whole ordeal ...and found things to be thankful for in it all . You are going to come through this .You make the right decisions about what else you need to do or not do ...You have plenty of folks praying for you so we know that is true .I hope you get over these horrible side effects soon .I believe soon you will wonder at all you were able to go through and will be wearing a smile that it is finally over.I would not be surprised to see you helping others cope (doing volunteer work )because of what you have been through.You would be great at it.God will be using you through hands on or just writing about all the pit falls and what to expect with treatments etc...God brought you to this place as you have said before ...He will help you ,lead you and keep you ...I love you and hope to see where you go from here ...it is a trip only you can take ...But we can cheer you on through our prayers and help when we can .Get well and keep posting ...Love you bunches and as I said before I am glad you are still with us ! Glad you are married to my son and have given us two wonderful grand children too ,Gayle Welborn.

    ReplyDelete